Pages

Sunday 29 December 2013

Common Crossbill, Orlestone forest

Female common Common Crossbill, Orlestone forest
I've been on the look-out for Crossbills in the forest since late summer, and whilst they're undoubtedly present a lot of luck and patience is required to find them. This is the fourth group I've found in as many months and all have been in different areas of the forest. This morning my first walk to an area of Norweigen Spruce revealed nothing. My second walk was successful. I found a small group of 4 birds feeding high in the canopy of Scots Pine. The birds made just the briefest of calls and I could only locate them from the sound of cones falling to the woodland floor.  Frustratingly, try as I might to follow the birds, I quickly lost sight of  them as they moved slowly through the canopy to feed.

No comments: